Monday, June 1, 2009

old blog #2


Ok so im almost positive htat ive had this same conversation with about 6 other people; but new METALCORE is NOT (I repeat not) Hardcore.......
Today in Starbucks, Penrith I was unfortunate enough to meet a young man; about the age of 19-21 id say, who confronted me and asked 'hey what are you listening to?' I replied with 'black flag' thinking he knew full well who they were and what kind of weight they use to pull in the hardcore/underground music scene. ....
'oh really? I''ve never heard of them. Where are they from?'....
my jaw literally dropped to the ground. I thought to my self? What? How can you not know who they are? Preceding to ask 'are you serious? You really don't know who they are?' he declined and said no; and asked what was wrong with that. 'well for starters they are one of the pioneer hardcore bands; and if your so into prom queen (he was wearing the shirt at the time) then you should be ashamed that you don't know them' thinking that maybe that would shut him up and let me get back to drinking my coffee he went on to say 'why does it even matter if I know where it came from? I like it. Isn't that enough?' knowing now that I had a full blown debate on my hands I went and sat down at his table and preceded to say 'there is no point in listening to a type of music if you have absolutely no idea what so ever where it came from. Your metalxcore band' *points to t-shirt* 'got a lot of their ideas from bands like black flag and NYHC bands like sick of it all. Their sound is partly based on the sound that those bands created. Do you realize now what im alking about?' moments passed whilst I stared into a blank nothingness that was his face. ....
'but prom queen have been around since before the 'scene' started' I serisously almost dropped my coffee all over my lap.....
'are you seriously that fucking stupid? The scene has been around for years. Oh my god *laughs* do you really think bands like IKTPQ started hardcore/metalcore in ..:namespace prefix = st1 ns = 'urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags' />....Australia....? Have you ever heard of a thing called basement bashes? They took place in like byron?' ....
he says '… nah.. what is that?'....
'well they are what partially started the hardcore scene, you don't know fucking anything dude *laughs*'....
'yeh but I know comeback kid and I think Carpathian are really good. Carpathian started the hardcore scene; with that crafter guy. He is like the king of the scene'....
*cracks up laughing* 'you have got it so so wrong my friend…' I preceded to explain to him the basement bashes and the old bands that use to take part in them; how hardcore partially started out with help from bands like black flag. He left thanking me; and saying that he will defianly download their music and I might even see him at the show on the weekend.....
And so we come to the end of this blog and in closing id just like to say; why do people assume to know more about things then they actually do? Why not just admit defeat and be told the right answer? And it really fucking annoys the shit outta me when some punk ass dickhead comes up to me and says 'err. Crafter started the music scene' you are such a fucking idiot its amazing you can even get outta bed in the morning.....
As for the 'scene' that he was talking about; it wasn't started for the use of dickheads like that to come in and just prance about dropping names and getting places; it is/ was a release. for the longest time music was my escape. i was defined by the genre i listened to.. i met other people who society deemed unfit and we created our own little world.. we called it the scene. what we didn't realise was the scene was just a microsm of the world and we too were just repeating history. more and more people joined our perfect little society and we further just became a sample of the world, the good and bad. now music is about embracing who i am, how i've changed and how i'll continue to grow & grow. who knew that our counter culture would turn into popular culture. but if you can remember the reason it was there, as the alternative choice, the counter-argument, the other opinion, the outsiders looking into society. well maybe we'll realise that we're all the fucking same people who couldn't cut it in the real world. don't turn this into high school. be civil. support your scene and the people in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment